Sunday, December 18, 2011

Advent Calendar - Christmas Stockings


Although we had a fake fireplace with gas heating in it, we didn't hang stockings on the mantel.  When I was in 5th or 6th grade I awoke on Christmas morning to find a red mesh stocking hanging from my door knob. It was  not the kind we now have that are beautifully embellished and filled with small presents and candy.  It was filled with an apple, a banana, an orange, and an assortment of nuts.  I questioned my Mother about why she would do that and I'll never forget her reply.  She thought it was something special because when she was a girl they didn't have grocery stores where they could buy fruit any time of the year. Getting fruit and nuts they normally didn't have was a special treat for her at Christmas.  What an eye-opener and humbling experience that was.  If there were other things in the stocking, they have been forgotten, but I've never forgotten about the fruit and nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment