Saturday, December 17, 2011

Advent Calendar Grab Bag - Christmas Carols and Misunderstood Lyrics

A pretty little booklet of Christmas Carols came with our newspaper each year.  One of them stayed in my piano bench for years, but was packed away when we moved.   Simple things like that were such special treats.  As an adult I've still kept a few of the booklets like the one pictured below because they remind me of how magical Christmastime is for children. 




Books have been written and comedians often make comments about misunderstood song lyrics.  Here are two I remember from my childhood.  I had no idea what the words really were until I was older, but since I grew up in Abilene, Texas, the local drawl may have had something to do with my interpretation of the lyrics.

Silent Night - "Rounyun verjun" = "Round yon Virgin" 

Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer - "Yugledown inhiztoreeeeeee" = "You'll go down in history!"  (yugle rhymes with bugle)

No comments:

Post a Comment