Friday, December 9, 2011

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Christmas Tree Ornaments

Tucked away in boxes are a few ornaments from my childhood.  One is a painted glass Santa that was placed in the string of lights.  Although it no longer lights up and the paint is dull or missing in spots, it is still special.

We saved wrapping paper, ribbons, and bows to reuse as did so many people who had lived through the Depression and World War II.  I still have a few of the special ones.  A present wrapped at a store with special decorations on it heightened the anticipation of what could be inside. 

Other ornaments I remember were made of plastic and most melted together in storage years ago, but I salvaged one or two of them even though I did not like them as a child.  I never understood why anyone would make or buy aqua colored plastic icicles, snowflakes, and stars with matching ones in white.

Probably my most cherished ornament is a red velvet bird made by my mother when my daughter was small which makes it about 30 years old now.  After a move, I thought it had been lost, but it resurfaced one year and tears of joy actually filled my eyes.  It warms my heart each time I remove it and place it on our tree because it reminds me of Mother, how she loved family, and how she loved to sew and do things for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment